--- RECAP ---
Thank you to everyone that came out on Thursday, and extra special thanks to Sherry Ott for sharing her experiences and knowledge, and getting us all super pumped for new global adventures! Sherry helped us realize that it's never too late to follow your travel dreams, and that it's about more than just the experiences: "When you take a giant step away from your routine, another side of your brain wakes up. Even more so when you're traveling. It helps you realize you have capabilities you didn't now you had."
Sherry shared heaps of tips for planning, executing and coming home from a travel career break. Below are some of the highlights:
- Approach a career break with your career in mind. Know your "why"--What story do you want to tell? How does it fit your personal brand?
- Update your resume and LinkedIn profile BEFORE you depart so that you don't forget anything before you leave, and keep them update throughout your travels.
- While traveling, it's important to stay in touch with your network. Use a blog, social media, email or whatever methods work best for you to remind others that you're still around and showcase how your travels are building your character.
- Be open to meeting as many people as possible during your travels. You never know who you'll meet or what kind of opportunities you will come across.
- When you come home, take stock of your story, and own it proudly on your resume and in interviews. Practice your answer to "Why did you do it?"
- A few intangible skills gained while traveling: problem solving, creativity, negotiation, budgeting, planning, listening/communication skills, adaptability, independent thinking, smart risk taking, initiative.
For more tips and advice on taking a travel career break, Sherry has provided a Career Break Travel Checklist and List of Travel Resources. Be sure to also check out her MeetPlanGowebsite, with even more advice on taking a travel career break. And follow along as she continues to explore the world on Ottsworld Travel Blog.
Thanks again to everyone for another killer Lady Killas event! See you at our next one on April 26 and stay tuned for speakers and location details!
Keep killin' it until then!
6 PM - cocktails and convo
7 PM - discussion and Q&A
Sherry Ott is a corporate cube dweller turned nomadic traveler. She travels to off-the-beaten-path destinations to bring you unique travel experiences, adventures, and photography from around the globe. But it’s not just about travel, it’s also about life experiences of a solo female wanderer.
Learn More about Sherry at Ott's World
From Briefcase to Backpack
Make a Travel Break Career Defining not Career Defeating
Free! RSVP for a ticket
Inclusive event (yes, men committed to the cause are welcome)